What Must I Do To Be Saved?
The bible is very clear on the answer to this question. The answer is simple... have faith, believe... in who? Believe God, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.
Here are 57 proof text verses from the bible saying just that.
Notice, a salvation verse must have words like FAITH, ETERNAL LIFE, EVERLASTING LIFE, HAVE LIFE or SAVED for it to be a verse telling you how to be saved.
NONE of these verses says you must repent of your sins to be saved. NONE of them says YOU have to DO something with YOUR sins... because Jesus paid it all. His blood pays the ransom for your sins.
To begin with John tells us WHY he wrote the Gospel of John:
1) John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might BELIEVE that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have LIFE through his name.
2) John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that BELIEVE on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
3) John 3:15 That whosoever BELIEVETH in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
4) John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever BELIEVETH in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
5) John 3:18 He that BELIEVETH on him is not condemned: but he that BELIEVETH not is condemned already, because he hath not BELIEVEd in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
6) John 3:36 He that BELIEVETH on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that BELIEVETH not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
7) John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and BELIEVETH on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
8) John 5:38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye BELIEVE not.
9) John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that BELIEVETH on me shall never thirst.
10) John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and BELIEVETH on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
11) John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that BELIEVETH on me hath everlasting life.
12) John 7:38 He that BELIEVETH on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
13) John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye BELIEVE not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
14) John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that BELIEVETH in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
15) John 11:26 And whosoever liveth and BELIEVETH in me shall never die. BELIEVEst thou this?
16) Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that BELIEVETH; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17) Romans 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which BELIEVETH in Jesus.
18) Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but BELIEVETH on him that justifieth the ungodly, his FAITH is counted for righteousness.
19) Romans 10:10 For with the heart man BELIEVETH unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
20) Genesis 15:6 And he (Abram) BELIEVEd in the Lord; and he counted it to him for righteousness.
21) Acts 15:8-9 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; 9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by FAITH.
22) Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by FAITH that is in me.
23) Romans 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by FAITH of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that BELIEVE: for there is no difference:
24) Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by FAITH without the deeds of the law.
25) Romans 3:30 Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by FAITH, and uncircumcision through FAITH.
26) Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by FAITH, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
27) Romans 5:2 By whom also we have access by FAITH into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
28) Romans 9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by FAITH, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
29) Matthew 21:32 For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots BELIEVEd him: and ye, when ye had seen it, repented not afterward, that ye might BELIEVE him.
30) Galatians 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by FAITH of Jesus Christ might be given to them that BELIEVE.
31) Galatians 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by FAITH.
32) Galatians 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by FAITH in Christ Jesus.
33) Galatians 5:5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by FAITH.
34) Ephesians 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by FAITH...
35) Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the FAITH of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by FAITH:
36) Hebrews 11:4 By FAITH Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
37) Hebrews 11:5 By FAITH Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
38) Hebrews 11:7 By FAITH Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
39) Hebrews 11:8 By FAITH Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.
40) Hebrews 11:11 Through FAITH also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.
41) Hebrews 11:13 These all died in FAITH, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
42) Hebrews 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, 18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called: 19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.
43) Hebrews 11:20 By FAITH Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come.
44) Hebrews 11:21 By FAITH Jacob, when he was a dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff.
45) Hebrews 11:22 By FAITH Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave commandment concerning his bones.
46) Hebrews 11:23 By FAITH Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king's commandment.
47) Hebrews 11:24 By FAITH Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter
48) Hebrews 11:29 By FAITH they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.
49) Hebrews 11:30 By FAITH the walls of Jericho fell down, after they were compassed about seven days.
50) Hebrews 11:31 By FAITH the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.
51) Hebrews 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through FAITH, received not the promise:
52) Acts 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
53) Galatians 3:9 So then they which be of FAITH are blessed with FAITHful Abraham.
54) Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through FAITH; and that not of yourselves (ie. repenting of your sins)...
55) 1 John 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 13 These things have I written unto you that BELIEVE on the name of the Son of God; that ye MAY KNOW that ye have eternal life, and that ye may BELIEVE on the name of the Son of God. 14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
56) 1 Thessalonians 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
57) Galatians 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
Other facts to remember:
The word repent is not found in the Gospel of John
The word repent does not automatically mean 'of your sins'
When people are told to repent they are being told to change their mind. Stop believing things like good works will save you. Stop believing that you can DO something to save yourself or contribute to your salvation. Stop believing in Allah or Buddha or Krishna or Vishnu or Muhammad or any other false prophet
Hebrews 6:1 says Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from DEAD works... Repenting of your sins is DEAD WORKS. It does NOTHING to save you
If you think you have to stop doing certain things to get saved then you are trusting in YOUR works for salvation. If you're trusting in your works then you are not saved.
For repenting of your sins to be necessary for salvation then ALL of the verses above would have to be edited to say you must REPENT OF YOUR SINS AND BELIEVE, HAVE FAITH to be saved.
To be saved you must believe the Gospel. And what is the Gospel?
1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the GOSPEL which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 by which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ DIED for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 and that he was BURIED, and that he ROSE again the third day according to the scriptures...
JESUS PAID IT ALL with His Death, Burial and Resurrection